Below are topics for research. Students can write a paper or create a multi-media presentation about one or more of these topics.
- Find out more about the efforts to help Jewish children get out of Nazi Germany.
- Find out more about Kristallnacht. What were some of the excuses that were used to incite the violence? Who was blamed for the violence and destruction after it happened? How were they “punished”? How did Kristallnacht affect the rate of emigration from Germany among Jews?
- Find out more about the Terezin Ghetto, and investigate how Nazis used this place to deceive the International Red Cross about what they were doing to the Jews of Europe.
- Find out more about some of the regions of the world where people are suffering from hunger and sickness today. What organizations are helping people in need? What kinds of services do they offer?
- Find out more about life in post-war Germany. Look at the photograph of Inge in Cologne in April 1949. What do you notice about the city? Describe some of the problems Germany faced after the war.